Five Eulogies for Zexe

Sunday 14 March 2010

The five speeches proffered in Mirith, by the time of Zexe's burial.
Everything was exactly as she had left it. No one had touched the piles of notes on the small desk, nor replaced the candles, now covered by a thin layer of dust. She avoided looking at the door of the small cubicle where Kwesyther used to write his indices. She wanted to imagine he was still there, and pretend she could still hear his exclamations of anger every time a drop of ink blurred his clear handwriting, or every time a name was too hard to spell for a native of the modern tongue. Her work had been left undone. Life had changed her projects, and for too long she had lost the necessary motivation to pursue her research. Now, as the year of 433 was reaching its end, she could feel her old enthusiasm returning. Slowly. But it was there. It was time to come back and work again.

The pretext was small, almost insignificant. She had found, in a strip of parchment marking the pages of a more common book, the transcription of the speeches proffered at Zexe's burial. Tiny excerpts of words from the past, yet still worth keeping in the history books. She unfolded the strip on the table, sharpened her old quill, and opened her book of records at the page she had left it. Then, writing carefully the headings of each section, she transcribed the five eulogies.

Nafets
I remember a story Zexe shared with me, and I would like to share it with all of you. When Zexe was a child, he was in the wilderness alone and was very afraid. His father sent him into the forest to become a man. While he was looking for shelter, a royal guard stumbles upon him. The guard asked "Why are you here young man?" And Zexe replied "I'm a man? Yay!" I got a good chuckle from that one. I think Zexe would not want us to feel sad, but remember the good times. I will miss him...

Birek McCalla
Since coming to Mirith I have met many people otherwise I would have not. And foremost among them was Zexe. From the first we knew each other as fellow warriors. Different cities we followed, aye, but our lives were alike. As we worked together, for the defense of Mirith and Oberin the respect grew. And a firm and unshakable friendship grew. The mark of friendship I believe is to argue at times and all the time remain true. Zexe and I debated on opposing sides many times what was best. But through it all, and to the moment of his death, we remained great friends. He knew one day he would die, and I believe the way he did was as he'd want. Remember him. He deserves it.

Galandir
You are and he was a great force for Mirith and Oberin. He fought valiantly that day and now rests with the greatest heroes of Oberin. He has fought next to all of you and I am sure it was the best time of his life. What he has done for Oberin and Mirith shall never be forgotten. I wish for you all to hope to become a great warrior like Zexe. Above all else, he would want for Mirith to continue to be a peaceful place. Now if you will all please join me in a moment of silence.

Nhezul Ryithin
Well, I'm in much the same boat as Birek. I'm not actually a Mirithian. Unlike many of you, I didn't have the pleasure of knowing Zexe as well as many did. That being said, I fought beside him, I saw how he fought for what he believed in. I may not remember him as a friend, but I'll remember him as one of the best damn warrior's Oberin has had. That's all.

Julianna
Well, I only met Zexe once... but he was a great warrior and led us into a tough battle. His efforts will never be forgotten by any of us. That's all.

[Source and full log:http://gypsy.s4.xrea.com/bbs_01/joyful.xcg?page=15]

0 comments: